Transition to School
Is your child starting school next September 2022?
You will be asked to apply for a Primary School place if you have a child born between 1 September 2017 and 31 August 2018 and would like a place in the Reception class of a state primary school in the 2022/3 school year.
- Reading Parents/Carers will receive application information (if they attend a Reading nursery/pre-school/ childminder) by 12 November 2021.
- Closing date for applications is 15 January 2022.
- You can apply using the online service from 9am on 12 November 2021 to 11.59pm on 15 January 2022.
- Pages 48-62 of this guide will give you information on local Reading schools and how to get in contact with them https://brighterfuturesforchildren.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Primary-Guide-2022-23.pdf
- Most local schools are now offering open mornings/events. You can call the school directly to book a place, to view the school or to find out more information.
- You may name up to 4 preferred schools on your application form, so it’s sensible to view as many schools as you are able to.
- You can find your catchment school by following this link and entering your postcode https://my.reading.gov.uk/mycouncil.aspx
- If your child has additional needs, we advise you to look at local schools and perhaps ask to book an appointment with the school SENCO to discuss your child’s needs with them. You will still need to apply for mainstream schools even if you are considering alternative specialist education and should arrange to meet with Kate the inclusion Manager/SENCO to discuss this further before you apply. email@example.com
- You can find out more about special schools here.